I love recipes that are complex and unique. I had leftover bananas and decided to have a look through Foodgawker to see what it had to offer and found this gorgeous recipe by The Candid Appetite, whom I now love and find his photography fantastic. It kinda makes me sad that my photos are nothing compared to his however maybe I can excuse myself as I’m only a beginner. But only for so long! I will improve, both in photography and in baking.
My first impression of this cheesecake is that it tasted like banana bread or its batter; not a bad thing. But the slice I served myself was too much and couldn’t finish it. You should cut them a little thinner to appreciate the flavour without being overwhelmed. I craved (and ate) this cheesecake for the rest of the week; it really excites me now just thinking about it. I thought I wasn’t going to try another flavoured cheesecake after the Nutella Cheesecake Bars because I didn’t personally enjoy them, however I suppose it makes sense that banana and cream cheese work better than Nutella and cream cheese. Granted, everyone else quite enjoyed them. I will definitely be making this cheesecake again and be delving into the realm of flavoured cheesecakes. :D
Bourbon Banana Pudding Cheesecake
Makes 8-10 servings, depending on the size of the slices.
For the Cheesecake:
- 2 cups finely crushed graham cracker crackers or ginger snaps
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (I didn’t have any but used some oatmeal)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon whiskey (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 900 g/32 ounces packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp bourbon whiskey (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon bourbon whiskey (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
For the garnish:
- 1 banana, sliced/dried sliced bananas
Make sure you have a roasting pan bigger than your spring-form pan.